netatalk 2.2beta4 has released, and a deb package for Ubuntu has released also.
But the package requires Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot. I have not install it. I’m using 10.04 Lucid Lynx on PowerMac/MDD.
I tried to install the package to 10.04, then found out it!
- Install packages to build from source files
- Download source deb package
- Extract source deb package
- Install dependent packages
- Edit source deb package
- Build source deb package
- Install binary deb package
- Confirm netatalk action
- Change configuration
- Restart netatalk and confirm again
If you have installed older version netatalk, don’t forget to backup configuration.
1. Install packages to build from source files
If you want to build a source deb package, it requires packages below:
Install them by below command.
$ sudo apt-get install dpkg-dev fakeroot
I guess "build-essential" is required also. If you meet an error, please install it.
$ sudo apt-get install build-essential
2. Download source deb package
Download the source deb package from the next site.
The package consists of below three files.
3. Extract source deb package
Make a directory to build it. You can change the directory name you like.
$ cd $ mkdir work $ cd work $ mkdir netatalk $ cd netatalk $ mkdir deb $ cd deb
Bring package to here.
$ cd ~/work/netatak/deb/ $ mv ~/Downloads/netatalk_2.2~beta4* .
$ cd ~/work/netatak/deb/ $ dpkg-source -x netatalk_2.2~beta4-1.dsc gpgv: Signature made Mon Jun 6 04:16:23 2011 JST using RSA key ID C1A00121 gpgv: Can't check signature: public key not found dpkg-source: warning: failed to verify signature on ./netatalk_2.2~beta4-1.dsc dpkg-source: info: extracting netatalk in netatalk-2.2~beta4 dpkg-source: info: unpacking netatalk_2.2~beta4.orig.tar.gz dpkg-source: info: unpacking netatalk_2.2~beta4-1.debian.tar.gz dpkg-source: info: applying 114_fix_macusers_ps_parsing.patch dpkg-source: info: applying 115_default-dir.patch dpkg-source: info: applying 201_etc2ps_paths.diff dpkg-source: info: applying 202_psf_8_paths.diff dpkg-source: info: applying 205_applevolumes_default_homedir.diff dpkg-source: info: applying 213_CVE-2008-5718.patch dpkg-source: info: applying 214_default-dir_autotools.patch
After that, you get extracted package.
./netatalk-2.2~beta4 -+- original netatalk source (extracted netatalk_2.2~beta4.orig.tar.gz) +- debian (extracted netatalk_2.2~beta4-1.debian.tar.gz)
It should be patched.
I saw errors, but I decide to ignore them.
4. Install dependent packages
The dependent packages are written in "debian/conrol". They are below:
Build-Depends: cdbs (>= 0.4.70~),
devscripts (>= 2.10.7~),
debhelper (>= 6),
You can install them below command.
$ sudo apt-get install\ cdbs\ autotools-dev\ devscripts\ debhelper\ dh-buildinfo\ libdb-dev\ libwrap0-dev\ libpam0g-dev\ libcups2-dev\ libkrb5-dev\ libltdl3-dev\ libgcrypt11-dev\ libcrack2-dev\ libavahi-client-dev\ d-shlibs\ hardening-includes
Of course you can use Synaptic package manager.
The "debian/control" says "cdbs" version must be higher than 0.4.70, but the "cdbs" version of Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx is 0.4.62.
I found a cheating, so I keep it as is.
netatalk 2.2beta4 has capability for ACL access. If you want to enable it, you have to install below packages.
$ sudo apt-get install libldap2-dev (for LDAP) $ sudo apt-get install libacl1-dev (for ACL)
The detail was written in this article.
5. Edit source deb package
I cheated when "4. Install dependent packages", so I have to resolve the dependency.
$ cd ~/work/netatak/deb/ $ cd netatalk-2.2~beta4 $ vi debian/rules
The "debian/rules" includes how to build binary package from source package. I changed it.
I add a "#" to "upstream-tarball.mk" line.
I don’t know why it needs "upstream-tarball.mk", but it seems to work well.
If you didn’t edit it, you will meet next error when "dpkg-buildpackage" (it will be described in the next section).
debian/rules:20: /usr/share/cdbs/1/rules/upstream-tarball.mk: No such file or directory make: *** No rule to make target `/usr/share/cdbs/1/rules/upstream-tarball.mk'. Stop. dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules clean gave error exit status 2
6. Build source deb package
Great! You can go to build step.
$ cd ~/work/netatak/deb/ $ cd netatalk-2.2~beta4 $ dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -rfakeroot -d
Then building will start. It takes a while.
The "-us -uc" options is without signing, so the binary package is not allow to upload as Ubuntu package.
If you want to make a binary package with signing, use "-S" instead of "-us -uc".
The "-d" option ignores dependencies. In this article it is not satisfying requirements, so you will meet next error without "-d" option.
dpkg-checkbuilddeps: Unmet build dependencies: cdbs (>= 0.4.70~) dpkg-buildpackage: warning: Build dependencies/conflicts unsatisfied; aborting. dpkg-buildpackage: warning: (Use -d flag to override.)
If you want to use OpenSSL, use below before build.
$ export DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS="openssl"
7. Install binary deb package
Finally, you get a .deb file (the binary package) in the parent directory. You can install netatalk with it.
$ cd ~/work/netatak/deb/ $ ls netatalk-2.2~beta4 netatalk_2.2~beta4-1_powerpc.changes netatalk_2.2~beta4-1.debian.tar.gz netatalk_2.2~beta4-1_powerpc.deb netatalk_2.2~beta4-1.dsc netatalk_2.2~beta4.orig.tar.gz $ dpkg -i netatalk_2.2~beta4-1_powerpc.deb
8. Confirm netatalk action
Check the installed netatalk version.
$ /usr/sbin/afpd -V afpd 2.2-beta4 - Apple Filing Protocol (AFP) daemon of Netatalk This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. Please see the file COPYING for further information and details. afpd has been compiled with support for these features: AFP3.x support: Yes TCP/IP Support: Yes DDP(AppleTalk) Support: Yes CNID backends: dbd last tdb SLP support: No Zeroconf support: Yes TCP wrappers support: Yes Quota support: Yes Admin group support: Yes Valid shell checks: Yes cracklib support: Yes Dropbox kludge: No Force volume uid/gid: No ACL support: Yes EA support: ad | sys LDAP support: Yes afpd.conf: /etc/netatalk/afpd.conf AppleVolumes.system: /etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.system AppleVolumes.default: /etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.default afp_signature.conf: /etc/netatalk/afp_signature.conf afp_voluuid.conf: /etc/netatalk/afp_voluuid.conf afp_ldap.conf: /etc/netatalk/afp_ldap.conf UAM search path: /usr/lib/netatalk/ Server messages path: /etc/netatalk/msg/ lockfile: /var/run/afpd.pid
In my environment it is available ACL/LDAP, so netatalk configure scripts turned on them.
I think it is better to turn on SLP for Mac OS X 10.0.* user, if the package supports DDP (AppleTalk).
I checked the configurations.
# The line below sets some DEFAULT, starting with Netatalk 2.1. :DEFAULT: options:upriv,usedots # By default all users have access to their home directories. ~/ "Home Directory"
The volume name is added. Other parts are as default.
"/etc/netatalk/afpd.conf", "/etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.system" are not changed from original files.
"/etc/default/netatalk" is described below.
It is commented out, so it take no affection. It seems to want to enable "uamclrtxt.so".
But I found "uams_clrtxt.so" in "/etc/init.d/netatalk".
It means clear text password. It will affect to security.
And there are no setting for Japanese.
I can connect to Ubuntu from Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard.
9. Change configuration
I feel the standard configuration is not reasonable, so I change the configuration.
At first stop the netatalk service.
$ sudo service netatalk stop Stopping Netatalk Daemons: afpd cnid_metad papd timelord atalkd.
Next change the configuration.
- character code
- no clear text password
- no DDP (AppleTalk)
The target of this configuration is for later Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.
Only required portions are described in below:
# The line below sets some DEFAULT, starting with Netatalk 2.1. :DEFAULT: options:upriv,usedots cnidscheme:dbd dperm:0700 fperm:0600 ea:sys # By default all users have access to their home directories. ~/ "Home Directory" /home/u_capsule "Ubuntu Capsule" options:tm volsizelimit:5000
It is only to confirm "TimeCapsule" action. If you want to use it, please change "volsizelimit".
#### server (unix) and legacy client (<= Mac OS 9) charsets ATALK_UNIX_CHARSET='UTF8' ATALK_MAC_CHARSET='MAC_JAPANESE' #### Set which legacy daemons to run. #### If you need AppleTalk, run atalkd. #### papd, timelord and a2boot are dependent upon atalkd. ATALKD_RUN=no PAPD_RUN=no TIMELORD_RUN=no A2BOOT_RUN=no
10. Restart netatalk and confirm again
Start netatalk service.
$ sudo service netatalk start Starting Netatalk services (this will take a while): cnid_metad afpd.
Then confirm netatalk actions. It is checked from Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard.
- Can Finder find the server? … OK
- Can Finder make a folder? … OK
- Can Finder copy a file on Mac, and can shell copy a file on Ubuntu? (from Mac to Ubuntu and from Ubuntu to Mac) … OK
- Is it correct permission and time stamp of the file? … OK
- Does it have regular file name, such as Japanese, inhibit characters and long filename? … OK
- Does it appear as TimeMachine disks? … OK
All items are OK.
In addition, it is necessary to enable extended file attribute in the Ubuntu side. Please see the next article.
- Ubuntu 10.04で拡張属性を有効にする: プラスα空間 (in Japanese)
ACL is ON, but I don’t check it this time.
- netatalk 2.2beta4 package for Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot can be adapted for Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx, only small changing.
- It is OK that the version of cdbs is 0.4.62.
- The built package (.deb) can use to "dpkg".
- I feel the standard configuration is not reasonable, so I change the configuration. Then I confirmed it.
By the way, I confirmed uninstall with "dpkg -r" and "dpkg –purge".
I want to thank HAT-san.
- Netatalk and Samba (in Japanese)
- 一からパッケージングする – Ubuntu Japanese Wiki (in Japanese and English)
- 【 debパッケージをインストールする 】 – Linuxコマンド逆引き大全：ITpro (in Japanese)
(It has a mistake in the description on uninstall options. It is "–purge" not "-pureg")
- PowerMac G4/MDDにUbuntu 9.10インストール[追記あり]: プラスα空間 (in Japanese)
- Ubuntu 9.10にnetatalk 2.1.2インストール[追記・訂正あり]: プラスα空間 (in Japanese)
- Ubuntu 9.10にavahiインストール[追記あり]: プラスα空間 (in Japanese)
- PowerMac G4/MDDにUbuntu 10.04インストール[追記あり]: プラスα空間 (in Japanese)
- Ubuntu 10.04にnetatalk 2.1.3インストール[追記・訂正あり]: プラスα空間 (in Japanese)
- Ubuntu 10.04にnetatalk 2.1.4インストール: プラスα空間 (in Japanese)
- Ubuntu 10.04にnetatalk 2.2alpha1インストール: プラスα空間 (in Japanese)
- Ubuntu 10.04にnetatalk 2.2alpha2インストール: プラスα空間 (in Japanese)
- Ubuntu 10.04にnetatalk 2.2alpha2インストール(バグ対応)[追記あり]: プラスα空間 (in Japanese)
- Ubuntu 10.04で拡張属性を有効にする: プラスα空間 (in Japanese)
- Ubuntu 10.04にnetatalk 2.2alpha3インストール: プラスα空間 (in Japanese)
- Ubuntu 10.04にnetatalk 2.2alpha4インストール: プラスα空間 (in Japanese)
- Ubuntu 10.04で、LDAPでログインできるようにする: プラスα空間 (in Japanese)
- Ubuntu 10.04でACLを有効にする: プラスα空間 (in Japanese)
- Ubuntu 10.04にnetatalk 2.2alpha4インストール(ACL対応でコンパイル): プラスα空間 (in Japanese)
- Ubuntu 10.04にnetatalk 2.2beta1インストール: プラスα空間 (in Japanese)
- Ubuntu 10.04にnetatalk 2.2beta2インストール: プラスα空間 (in Japanese)
- Ubuntu 10.04にnetatalk 2.2beta3インストール: プラスα空間 (in Japanese)
- Ubuntu 10.04にnetatalk 2.2beta4インストール: プラスα空間 (in Japanese)
- Ubuntu 10.04にnetatalk 2.2beta4をdpkgでインストール: プラスα空間 (in Japanese. This is original for this article)
- How to install netatalk 2.2beta4 to Ubuntu 10.04 by dpkg: プラスα空間